The Technician Tier I is responsible for providing accurate information to both internal and external customers on all inbound and outbound calls, efficiently working trouble tickets, utilizing trouble shooting, isolation and resolution skills, test equipment and all surveillance tools to provide expeditious resolutions.
· Have a working knowledge of telecommunications networking concepts (OSI model, transport, basic switching and routing, voice protocols and signaling concepts)
· Responsible for creating trouble tickets, troubleshooting technical problems, customer engagement, problem isolation as well as coordination of efforts toward first call resolution.
- Responsible for analyzing, isolating and troubleshooting voice, transport, data/IP and email (hosted exchange) issues that are either reported directly by our customers or identified via an alarm surveillance systems.
- Work in unison or escalate as required internally, with other departments and with external vendors to identify and resolve issues. This includes coordinating field service dispatches within the organization and external vendors.
- Dispatch field technicians, direct maintenances and restoration of systems and circuits after exhausting all remote troubleshooting procedures.
· Maintaining a daily log of all customers requesting follow up and proactively provide well written and/or verbal updates based on committed update intervals to customers experiencing any technology network/product issue. Includes, but not limited to: voice, hosted PBX, Internet, email, VPN, MPLS, transport digital and optical and DWDM.
- Master current and future ticketing/OSS systems. Currently, Remedy and CHR ticketing systems.
· Performing proactive customer service by reviewing accounts, surveillance tools and reports to identify areas of concern or opportunity. Develop plan, and when necessary obtain approval to implement improvement plan. Engage other teams as needed to complete the improvement.
· Conduct all testing possible to clear the Logix network prior to opening a trouble ticket with a vendor. Report issue to vendor accurately and document all vendor interaction, ticket numbers, testing and progress/updates within Logix ticketing system. Update customer in timely manner or within committed intervals.
- Ability to complete Emergency Routing for Customer (Fax to Email, Setting up Voice Mail).
- Understanding of basic troubleshooting of Analog Lines/Hunt Group Lines/ DID’s and DIOD’s.
- Able to perform basic commands in DMS (QDN, Pull Omshows, Logutil,Verify PIC and LPIC, including call forwarding & use of SOI Tool).
- Able to verify in DMS if lines are Loopstart or Groundstart.
- Able to access Adtran, capture line status data, check for errors and test circuit in Adtran Mux.
- Ability to use and understand Hacker LD monitoring tool or any future LD hacker tools.
- Ability to learn basic trouble shooting and translations commands for Taqua (T7) and future switch platforms (BroadSoft, others).
- Ability to use and understand current in house monitoring tools (Intraware, CPE tool, Beholder, SMON, others) including NetCool and SolarWinds.
- Correlate events and alarms to identify the root cause of a failure or impairment.
- Ability to use and understand current and future design, inventory and ordering tools (NIMS, Logix360, SAMM, Visioneal).
- Configure email clients for Logix Hosted Exchange including add/delete email accounts and reset email passwords.
- Basic understanding of router configurations.
Required Qualifications/Technical Skills:
- Must have excellent analytical, problem solving skills as well as excellent communication, decision-making and organizational skills.
- Must have strong technical skills in IP telecommunications field and be able to demonstrate the ability to solve problems.
- Candidate must have a working knowledge of Cisco, Brocade, Nokia, Ciena, Actelis and Hatteras networking devices.
- Must have a basic understanding of Layer 1, Layer 2 and Layer 3 Protocol.
- Must be able to work under stress and in a fast-paced customer driven environment.
- Answering inbound calls from both internal and external customers in order to meet the needs of all customers in a timely and professional manner.
- Provide customer circuit/service fault isolation, communication and management.
- Excellent comprehension of contact center etiquette and customer support skills.
- Understanding customer segmentation strategy and expectations to customer trouble ticket management process.
· Understand and have ability to provide a quality customer experience interaction with every call or ticket worked.
· Maintain confidentiality of all customer and company information.
· Proven ability to operate honestly and with high integrity.
· Demonstrates teamwork by cooperating and assisting co-workers as needed.
· Communicates effectively with customer, co-workers and management.
· Understanding of NOC (Operations) Disaster Recovery Plan Procedures.
· Dependable, prompt professional who is a self-starter with initiative and drive to provide excellent customer service.
· Adhere to company practices and regulations including attendance and punctuality expectations.
· Maintain work area in neat and orderly fashion.
- Must be detail oriented, organized and able to multi-task while using critical thinking skills to solve customer problems efficiently and effectively.
· Learn all aspects of the position responsibilities through on-the-job training, reading and job aids.
· Professional and effective oral and written communication skills.
· Proficient in Word & Excel applications.
· Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment.
· Willing to work overtime and be available for on-call duty and emergency call in situations.
· Able to work nights, weekends and holidays.
- Ability to speak clearly and hear effectively through phone or headset.
- Sitting, standing for 8 hours a day
- Vision must support looking at multiple computer monitors simultaneously. Some desktop and others large screen monitors.
- High school diploma or General Education Degree (GED) required
- Minimum 5 years telecommunications experience preferred.