This position will work within the Network Systems support team which is closely tied to most of the development organizations, including the IT, IP Engineering, Voice Engineering, and Operational Support Service Assurance teams.
This position will have experience in developing network and systems management and monitoring solutions for increasingly complex and scaled network environments with off the shelf and custom tools.
- Will gain knowledge on existing and emerging network monitoring and management systems and apply that knowledge to resolving customer network management challenges.
- Will research customer monitoring requirements and translate them into techniques and tools using COTS products.
- Will research, compile and deliver techniques, tools, configurations, templates, etc. for inclusion into the company intellectual property pool.
- Ensures compliance with change control processes and adherence to standards.
- May lead projects with small to moderately sized scope and teams.
- May act as a consultant on special projects for multiple teams.
- May provide coaching and guidance to more junior engineers
Required Skills and abilities:
- IBM Tivoli Netcool/OMNIbus, WebGUI, Impact.
- Installing and configuring TL1 Probes, SNMP Probes, Ping Probes and other various Netcool Administrative functions
- Scripting language: Perl/Python/PHP/Shell
- At least seven (7) years of system administration experience in Linux and FreeBSD environments.
- Support existing internally-built monitoring and provisioning systems comprised of LAMP (Linux, Apache, Mysql, and Perl)
- Deep understanding of Operating Systems such as: CentOS, RHEL, Debian, Slackware & FreeBSD
- Build tools for deployment, monitoring, and operations. Troubleshoot and resolve issues in our development and production environments.
- A good level understanding of Networks and Networking (VLAN, subnetting, routing, switching) (CCNA or equivalent experience ideal). Equipment familiarity of Fortinet, Cisco, Nokia, Juniper, Brocade, Adtran.
- Experience installing, configuring, and troubleshooting SMTP/IMAP/POP email servers (Dovecot, Courier, Postfix, Squirrelmail, Amavisd)
- Experience installing, configuring, and troubleshooting web servers (Apache, IIS, nginx)
- Experience installing, configuring, and troubleshooting database servers (MySQL, OpenLDAP, Postgres, SQLite)
- Experience installing, configuring, and troubleshooting network services (BIND, FreeRADIUS, TACACS, NetCool, Nagios, Cacti, Solarwinds, Munin, Rsync, Splunk)
- Design, implement, and maintain server, storage, network, and security infrastructure, as well as disaster recovery and business continuity architecture.
- Comfortable in protocols such as but not limited to Telnet/SSH/SNMP/TL1/SOAP/REST/DNS/SQL/SMTP/IMAP/POP3/HTTPS/FTP/SSL/TLS/SIP